Sunday, September 11, 2011

Filling our "Hope" Chest

This past week has brought a big milestone in our adoption process.  We are home study "ready."  Our paperwork was reviewed in Omaha on Friday and as long as things look okay our file will be passed on to a social worker who will conduct the "study" of our family.  We are hoping to hear from the social worker early this week to get our first appointment on the calendar.  This "study," which basically is a written document describing every detail of our family life, is our representation to the China Adoption Affairs representatives and everyone else who will be helping to unite us with our daughter.  Its a very important piece of this adoption journey and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about how it will go.  I am....very nervous, that is.  I think we have a great family and all but its kinda weird having someone examine our family in such a personal way.

When I think about our little one waiting for us on the other side of the world I've been struck lately by the reality that she has already been born.  Our daughter's miraculous birth has already taken place, but the circumstances of which will probably always be a mystery.  Her birth family has already made such a great sacrifice in giving her a chance at a life they didn't feel they could give her, but that will probably always be a mystery as well.  I just wish I could fast forward in time and see who our little girl will be.  Will she have chubby little baby cheeks?  Will she be busy like Lincoln?  Will she be spunky like Sully?  All of these things are a great big mystery, but yet I have to keep reminding myself that the journey to our little girl is a story that can't be written in a day, a week or even a month.  The only one who knows the beautiful fairy tale ending (and yes, I believe there will be one) is God Almighty and he'll reveal all those precious details to us in His perfect timing.

While we wait on His precious timing I have begun having a strong desire to....well, shop :)  When Sully was a baby I bought him a very special blanket that was a giraffe print and the softest minky you could ever find with a ivory satin edge.  It was beautiful and I apparently wasn't the only one who thought so.  I left it at a Dr.'s office when Sully was a few months old and it was never "found."  Well, I just so happened to find the My Blankee outlet center on the great www and stumbled upon this sweet little ladybug blankie that has my daughter's name all over it (even though I'm not sure what her name is yet-haha).  It arrived Fed Ex on Thursday :)  Its extra special because ladybug's are a symbol of Chinese adoption and polk-a-dots are kinda special to us nevus families too.  This blanket will go into my little "Hope" chest of things I've been picking up here and there for our little sweetie.  


I'm going to have to be careful or the Hope chest may explode :)

1 comments:

Nancy @ Ordinary Miracles & The Crazy 10 said... [Reply to comment]

Oh that is so pretty and sweet! You know, I have one thing in our sweetie's hope chest... only 1. some stacking cups I found on sale about a week ago. Can't seem to make it real yet. Maybe soon.
nancy again

 

Template by: Bright Sunshine Designs by Mary - Affordable Custom Blog Design © 2011